[Readers, please point out any errors or omissions - Ed].
Let us analyse the few purported 'facts' offered by the recent GIIS fee hike announcement, after filtering out all the filler words.
• Para #2 says:
'Singapore Land Authority ... has increased our school leases substantially'
This is probably the main item, being first in descending order.
Question to management: In support of this statement, please publish the past and present lease amounts for QT, EC, and new lease amount for Balestier.
If not revealed by school, we have to request figures from SLA, or from other similar schools. Help needed !
• Para #3 says:
'Average employee Cost to the School (CTC) has gone up by more than 60% in the past 2 years'
Question: Please publish the current CTC per employee per annum.
(If not revealed by school, estimates to be obtained. 60% pay rise on the average seems unusual).
'For every 15 students, a new teacher has to be employed...'
Of course ! But do not forget that every added set of 15 students pay over SGD 100,000 annually (transport excluded) ! Subtract from this the annual salary of one teacher employed, and the rest is pretty much additional profit, so why are we complaining about number of students ? If the number of students were a problem as suggested, expansion would have stopped automatically.
'combined teaching resources have risen to over 300 (includes full time & part time teachers)'
Take it as 300 x 15 = 4500 students, and work into the numbers above. This statement also reveals that part time teachers are being counted as equal to full time in calculating teacher to students ratio.
• Para #4 lists out:
'cleaning, security & nursing agencies ... medical Insurance for students, teachers and staff and ...ECA/CCA activities'
Question: Please publish the annual total. (These fees are subject to inflation but are obviously smaller ticket items).
Although the word 'inflation' has been prominently invoked, the figures do not add up. There is something missing !
We request the authorities to publish the facts and figures.
1. Please forward this post as email to management and request them for answers (HOW?) and make sure you vote on the fee hike survey (top left).
2. Please try to dig out the facts, from SLA, from teachers, ex-teachers, or any source. Share the facts and figures (some parents have already been doing this, thanks for your efforts).
3. If management does not seem to respond, contact the governing board, advisors, and other higher authorities that they are answerable to. Make them respond.
4. Adopt Gandhigiri by sending flowers as a commentor has suggested.
5. Continue to do what you would normally do, and not wait for the blogging parents to make things happen. A googlegroup is already being formed. It is better to work within your smaller trusted groups like your condo group. But please keep others updated of any progress. Use this blog ! When we meet with the management, ensure that you also have mediators at hand, and record the minutes. 'Shouting matches' do not serve any purpose.
6. Some of you are considering your options. Whether you stay and fight or move out, is an individual choice that we respect even though it will be a loss to those who remain.
7. Let us each explore possible further options if no response is forthcoming after all these measures.