[ We congratulate the teachers of GIIS for the bold stand taken by them and what they have achieved by speaking in one voice. Teachers (who actually perform the service) and Parents (customers/sponsors) are elements that the management should take seriously. We hope GIF gets the message. The teachers have also set an example for the parents. ]
Proposed strategy to engage GIIS/GIF immediately for relief of fee hike, and to find a permanent solution to other problems:
1. collect and analyse data, share it fully and equally with parents and management
- In progress.
2. inform parents, allow open discussions on this blog, invite GIIS/GIF to the blog
- Invitations were sent.
3. run fee hike survey on blog, get 200 fully informed parents to vote by end of week
- In progress. Please spread the word.
4. form Googlegroups or other mail groups or neighbourhood groups of parents
- In progress, all parents to do more.
5. write letters to Principal, AT, KB, send blog pages as email using this blog's facility
- Some written, all parents to help.
6. -do- to Advisors, Patrons, board members, press/media in Singapore and India
- All parents to help.
7. Make phone calls to influential people in small groups of 4 or 5 parents and explain the situation and seek their help.
- Not started. All parents, please help.
8. approach CASE for immediate relief:
Request to CASE for immediate action:
CASE, as mediator in the dispute, should request GIIS not to hike the fee for the GIRO collection scheduled for April 2008. This is because the proposed new rates are disputed and the hike has been timed to put parents at a disadvantage.
CASE engagement in progress, parents please contact email@example.com
9. approach the Indian High Commission to immediately assign a mediator / observer. As this is a matter affecting NRI's / Indian diaspora, we would like to ask for an active role from the High Commission. We will draft a petition to the High Commission with sufficient signatures, but this will take time and the matter is urgent. Based on facts already uncovered here, we need the High Commission to intervene now.
- Not started. Help needed in co-ordinating this.
10. Request each GIIS campus to elect (not appoint) a representational PTA (Parent Teacher Association) with elected members from the body of parents and teachers. Several teacher representatives and parent representatives are needed based for different levels, subject matters, areas of expertise, neighbourhoods represented etc.
- To be done by blog authors + parents help. Teachers, we need your help too !
11. Set up a High Power Committe of all concerned parties, for permanent solution.
The committee may include PTA (representing parents and teachers), CASE, High Commission representatives (representing the interests of NRI's), Singapore authorities and current GIIS/GIF management.
This committee shall discover full accounts of costs (every detail to be scrutinized), determine essential and non-essential expenses, any malpractices or irregularities, and taking the 'non-profit' tag in good faith, determine and recommend what the optimum fees should be. After this problem is solved, the committee shall recommend structure, organization and process to ensure quality education at reasonable cost.
- To be done.
Please add anything that was missed out, or new ideas. Thanks to all who have contributed to these.